Sunday, September 16, 2007

Free Choice Essay

Here is a draft of my essay on my Summer Free Choice Reading Book, an essay describing what type of reader and writer I am. Tell me what you think.

Over the summer, I spent my time in the southwest countryside of France. Even with the unusually cold season, I spent my time reading books, mainly in French. However, I discovered a book that was in my father’s old bedroom in English. The book was Isaac Asimov’s The Martian Way. I immediately picked it up and started reading. I finished the story in two hours, considering that it was only fifty-five pages long, but the two hours lasted for an eternity.
Typically I like to read fictional books, many times science fiction stories of the future, past, taking place on other planets, and possibly just novels that tell stories of space. However, The Martian Way wasn’t like any of the other books and stories I’ve read, like Fahrenheit 451 or The Martian Chronicles, because this book wasn’t constricting my imagination of what can happen. I loved this book especially because the story had something to make me think about, and imagining the possible of what the future would be like.
I usually like to read most fictional books that have a good plot that involves many characters and especially books that have a good character development; like in The Martian Ways where the characters are developing as the book goes on, same with the plot, dragging me to the finish of the book. When I get a book that does take its time to develop the characters, but the plot is developing at the very end of the book, then the book becomes boring to me. However, when there are mysteries that unveil continuously, for example in Foundation by Asimov solves a mystery, and then creates another. I like especially the way that Asimov just pulls you into the story, making you become a character in the book. Similarly, The Martian Way creates a curious setup and continues to build on, answering some questions that come to mind and creating more.
When I read a book, I look for the style of writing and the character set-up. Like in The Martian Way, the story starts off in the middle of an event, without describing anyone, nor any thing; the characters are described as the story moves on, and the settings are described as events occur, which brings me to one thing that I love to do is read stories and novels that are unfolding as you read. I think that I am a reader of really good plots, and sometimes I think myself as a writer of logical progression. However, like in Asimov’s Foundation, I tend to be very disorganized in writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, GHR!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.